Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

A Nice Long Hike

Sunlight on naked Ocotillos
Becca and I were headed back in toward Tortugas Mountain after a long bushwhack in the outback when I spotted the Torrey Yucca in bloom, which is pictured below.  It's the first I've seen this season.  After I took a bunch of photos of it I realized that we had really gotten off track, and I asked Becca to find our way back.  Without hesitation she set off, and I marveled at her ability to retrace our route.  I could plainly see my boot prints in the dirt.  To the uninitiated who might believe that all deserts have Sahara-like sandy soil I can assure you that much of the Chihuahuan Desert is not sand.  If it were I could have easily found our way back.
Up the mountain's flank

Profiling like Hitchcock

Brushstroke clouds

Break time!

Dos cabezas

Scalloped Phacelia (Forget-me-not family)

Scalloped Phacelia
Not zits, but buds

Tortugas (left) and the Organ Mountains

Torrey Yucca starting to bloom west of the mountain


"Red head" (yucca bud)

Many Native American tribes ate yucca flowers as a delicacy

Sunny day in the Chihuahuan Desert

Observatory and Torrey Yucca

Yucca blossoms

The best pathfinder

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

I can't believe how early in the season it is for a torrey yucca to be flowering. The phacelia blossom is a beautiful light purple shade.

packrat said...

The yucca blooms seem at least several weeks early, Dr. K.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...