Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

A Fine Tumble

Desert Willow
Dr. K, the Heelers and I drove to the end of Geothermal Drive, parked the CR-V at the western gate and hiked up the road a piece before turning south to reach the northernmost east/west dirt road.  Just after ascending the steepest climb I stepped awkwardly on a rock and lost my balance.

Tripping forward I tried in vain to get my legs and feet in front of my torso to break my fall, but in doing so propelled myself forward more quickly.  I realized immediately I was going down.  My old Aikido training kicked in and I rolled left, took the brunt of the impact on my folded left arm and shoulder--thereby avoiding damage to my camera inside its case--and continued the maneuver across my back.  Unfortunately I was carrying a daypack with gear inside, and I felt the collision with the ground most forcefully there.

Afterward, I got up slowly with Dr. K's help.  My left shoulder hurt badly, but I could move my arm without pain.  My right-side rib cage felt sore, and it got worse during the rest of the trek which I refused to abbreviate.  Miraculously there wasn't a speck of dirt on my camera case, proving my instinct to protect its contents had paid off.

Now (early afternoon) I feel pretty stiff and sore, mostly in the area of my ribs.  I've taken several ibuprofens to alleviate the pain.  I don't think I broke anything, but I sure as hell bruised myself up pretty good.  The cuts and scrapes on my arms and legs have already begun to heal.
This and the next 5:  Heelers






From the northernmost east/west dirt road

West of Tortugas Mountain

Yucca and observatory

Dr. K, Willow and Frio

Br'er Rabbit's credit rating

This and the next:  Desert Willow flowers and buds


This and the next 2:  Desert Bird of Paradise



At home in the desert

Stages

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like the photos of the beautiful desert willow flowers, Packrat. I'm glad you weren't badly hurt by your fall on the trail.

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...