Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, June 8, 2023

Baby Rattler

This & next:  where have all the flowers gone?
It was a tad hot already when Dr. K, Willow, Frio and I set off on our morning trek.  I had the dogs on lead as we began heading east on the cross trail when they walked right up to a baby Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.  I saw at the last moment how close they were and immediately pulled them back.  Fortunately the young rattler wasn't agitated, and we were able to make a wide detour around it after I had taken photographs.

Heading up Left Branch Arroyo I spotted a fairly large Desert Spiny Lizard, and, despite my usual powers of persuasion, I was not able to convince it to come out from its cover.  I did the best I could in snapping the lizard's picture.

During the rest of the hike we kept a sharp eye out for other snakes, primarily due to the one we'd already encountered.

Replaced by yucca fruit every one

This & next 2:  young Western Diamondback, a hair over 12"



Ocotillos and Tortugas Mountain

Morning moon

This & next 3:  Desert Spiny Lizard




Frio and Willow

Torrey Yucca

Right Branch Arroyo

Rush Skeleton-Plant

 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Nice photo of the pretty Rush-skeleton Plant. I wasn't happy about seeing the snake today.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...