Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, September 26, 2026

Swainson's Hawk Encounter

1st 3:  Swainson's Hawk
Weather conditions were pleasant for Dr. K, Willow and me on our morning hike.  Not long after we started down the LDR-A arroyo I spotted a raptor perched atop a Soaptree Yucca trunk.  The telescopic lens on my camera confirmed it was a Swainson's Hawk, one of my favorites.  Got one decent photo of it even though I took about 20 pics.  The bird I photographed later in the creosote bush took me quite a while to ID later at home.  With the help of AI I confirmed it was an immature Gambel's White-crowned Sparrow; not sure I've ever seen one before.  We took a long drive after the trek.



Willow thinks she sees something

This & next:  immature Gambel's White-crowned Sparrow


Same Swainson's Hawk, different location

Variegated Meadowhawk

Twin-leaf Senna

Distant Curve-billed Thrasher on ocotillo branch

 

No comments:

Swainson's Hawk Encounter

1st 3:  Swainson's Hawk Weather conditions were pleasant for Dr. K, Willow and me on our morning hike.  Not long after we started down t...