Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, February 10, 2012

Far Outer Loop

Getting started
Becca and I finally found the end (or beginning, depending on your perspective) of a single-track trail that intersects the most distant loop road around Tortugas.  This adds another trail to our repertoire of hikes around the mountain and foothill areas.  Our only concern revolves around the number of spent shotgun cartridges we found at the far western end of the trek.
Hiking away from Tortugas

Somebody's getting read for spring

Heading upslope

Distant view of Tortugas (left) and the Organ Mountains

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

That nest is so neat. I'm glad spring will be coming soon.

Scott said...

Any idea what bird (mammal?) made that nest? Grey squirrels make similar leaf bundle nests around here. Neat!

packrat said...

Scott: I think it's probably the nest of a Cactus Wren in this particular Mesquite tree. They build large round nests in Chollas, Prickly Pears and thorny trees.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...