Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How Accurate is Google Earth?

Setting off through the desert
Just out of curiosity I opened our GPS track on Google Earth, then monkeyed around with various perspectives (including "Ground Level View") to test how accurate Google Earth is.  I came away from the experiment pretty impressed.  Even when I went down to ground level, the computer-generated image of the landscape was fairly accurate.  Even though I was impressed with Google Earth's capabilities, Becca could care less.

Giant Yucca on the foothills trail









 
Garmin GPS track on Google Earth

Out of the foothills into the lower desert


Google Earth view:  Tortugas (left) and Organ Mountains



Bushwhacking from right, then on dirt road

Back up into the foothills (centerline) then down (foreground)

Google Earth view of the dirt road to-and-from the mountain

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I really like the google earth images.

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...