Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Soaked to the Bone

Heading into the storm
Something was going on at the Sunset Parking area, so Becca and I parked on the north side of the mountain between Sunset and Monte Vista.  I felt pretty certain we had a good chance of getting rained on because of the dark clouds heading our way.  I did not, however, think we'd get a steady rain from start to finish; but that's what we got.  Both Becca and I were absolutely soaked by the time we finished our hike.  I always carry plastic bags to protect my stuff--wallet, keys, camera--so I wasn't overly concerned about getting wet.
Dark sky over Tortugas

Doña Ana Mountains

We're getting rained on now


Looking back at the way we've just come

A plump, wet Barrel Cactus

My khaki Blubandoo cap is soaked, swelling the cooling gel crystals

Peaks of the Organ Mountains

Green desert filled with flowers

Becca doesn't want to stop in the rain


Clouds enveloping the Organ Mountains

The east face of Tortugas looking greener than ever


The BLM ramada with a BLM truck parked near it

A very wet canine

The flat plane of desert stretching to the Organ Mountains

I liked this image because of its three-part composition

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

I really like the photo "heading into the storm."

Scott said...

Wow! The first and third images are spectacular--maybe spectacular enough to make getting soaked worth it! I heard on the radio this afternoon that the Southwest may get some significant rain from the remnants of the tropical storm that is skirting Baja California.

Kali (incapacitated) and I are sitting in the garden behind my organization's visitor center "enjoying" 90 degree heat and (seemingly) 90% humidity in advance of an approaching front and severe thunderstorms. I hope we don't lose electricity like Detroit. Uh-oh...thunder...

packrat said...

I appreciate your comments, Scott. Hope you don't get blasted by a thunderstorm later. 90 degree heat and 90% humidity is not my idea of bearable weather. We had 80% humidity when we started out this morning, but the temperature was 72 F, so not too bad. Yes, we're under an alert for possibly heavy rain later today and through tomorrow.

Friday Free-For-All

Soaptree Yucca at the side of LDR-A We got an early start this morning, but not as early as the Basset people and their hounds who we spotte...