Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, May 17, 2015

One Fine Sunday

Heading back behind Tortugas Mountain
It was a beautiful morning in the northern Chihuahuan Desert of southern New Mexico, though quite cool again.  Dr. K and I both wore light jackets for most of the hike--which was a long one.   Back of Tortugas Mountain we ran into three mountain bikers who were stopped abreast of the trail.  They laughed at the wide berth Becca gave them.  I told the guy they looked like the Three Musketeers the way they were standing there, and one of the men said, "More like the three Mouseketeers."  
Looking upslope

In a steep arroyo Becca watches Desert Cottontails scamper away

Millipede

Dr. K and Becca, who spots a woman hiking with a German Shepherd

Odd Prickly Pear pad:  flowers on the flat surface rather than on the rim

Trail through the outback

Becca forging ahead

Waiting for us around the bend

Delicate Prickly Pear flower

Eastern flank of the Tortoise

More Prickly Pear blossoms

Stealth over the mountain

These delicate flowers are growing near the wheelbarrow in our backyard

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

I don't remember ever seeing prickly pear flowers growing right out of the pad.

packrat said...

I may have seen that a time or two before, Dr. K, but it was long enough ago to surprise me when I saw it today.

Liz Tipping said...

Just catching up the blog. We had an "insect man" come into work today and I held a milipede - lovely little thing!

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...