Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, May 22, 2015

What a Find!

Night-blooming Cereus
Because I had a 9:20 a.m. doctor's appointment this morning Becca and I left for our hike at 6:00.  The early start allowed me to see a cactus I'd only heard of before, but had never seen for myself:  the Night-Blooming Cereus.  So I took as many photos as I could.  Here's what Desert U.S.A. says about the plant:  "One of the strangest plants of the desert, the night blooming cereus, is a member of the cactus family that resembles nothing more than a dead bush most of the year. It is rarely seen in the wild because of its inconspicuousness. But for one midsummer's night each year, its exqusitely scented flower opens as night falls, then closes forever with the first rays of the morning sun.  (My emphasis.)

Range

Sonoran and Chihuahuan deserts of southern Arizona, east to western Texas and south to northern Mexico.

Habitat

Desert flats and washes between 3000 and 5000 feet, often in the shade of desert shrubs like creosote.

Flowers

These very fragrant trumpet-shaped flowers, which bloom for only one night in June or July, are up to 4 inches wide and as much as 8 inches long. The waxy, creamy-white, many-petaled flowers are followed by a red-orange, short-spined elliptical fruit about three inches long.

Description

The night-blooming cereus has sparse, angular, lead-gray, twiggy stems about 1/2 inch in diameter. Extremeley small spines grow along the 4 to 6 ribs of these woody stems, which can easily break. It can be erect or sprawling, reaching a length of up to 8 feet, but is usually half that length."


Focus on the stem



Before sunrise on the foothills trail

The sun makes its appearance

Getting closer to warmth

El sol about to appear above Tortugas Mountain

Long shadow

There's a impatient pup in this photo

Soaptree Yucca and the Organ Mountains

Soaptree Yucca in Tortugas's foothills

Yuccas at the base of the Tortoise

Night-blooming Cereus in sunlight




Two Cottontails were feasting on Desert willow blossoms in our yard


Interesting markings on this one's face



3 comments:

Dr. K said...

How lucky to be able to see this flower blooming. Beautiful flowers. Wish I had been there.

Caroline said...

Wow! I've never seen that flower! And great photos. You were really lucky, as Dr. k said.

packrat said...

Thanks, Caroline. I'd never seen it, either, but I think I first read about it in one of Joseph Wood Krutch's books on the desert.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...