Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, August 1, 2016

Heard But Not Seen

Scrambling down the single-track
About halfway through our hike this morning Becca and I heard a coyote cacophony coming from an area very near to where we stood.  We made a beeline in that direction, hoping to catch sight of some members of the Canis latrans clan.  But, alas, it was not to be.  This has happened to us in the past; we've hurried forward in hopes of seeing a coyote or two for photographic purposes only to find nothing.  It always amazes me that these clever desert denizens can make themselves invisible to pursuers--no doubt one of the reasons many Native American people referred to the critters as "The Trickster."
Nipple Beehive Cactus blooming for the fifth time

Nipple Beehive Cactus

Sunny with shadowy horizon

I keep trying (unsuccessfully) to photograph a Lesser Nighthawk in flight

A single cloud obscuring the sun

What, in my youth, we used to call "lucky stones"

The middle of nowhere

What you don't expect to see in the middle of nowhere

Shady, thanks to a single cloud

Heading back

Nice break from the heat

Spiritual Prickly Pear pad

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

I wonder what the story is behind that clothes hanger in the middle of the desert?

Scott said...

We called 'em lucky stones, too. maybe it's an "Ohio thing."

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...