Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Human Decency

Nice contrast with the thorny Prickly Pear Cactus
About an eighth mile short of finishing our trek this morning Becca and I noticed a large group of men running our way.  I made Becca move off the trail and gave her a "down" command; she's good at staying in place while we step aside to let other outdoor enthusiasts pass.  These men were too young to be college students, but they were--to a man--in prime physical condition.  There were about twenty of them, and I had the impression they were either military personnel or members of law enforcement; all were extremely courteous.  "Good morning, Sir," many of them said.  One said, "Excuse us, Sir." The more silent among them acknowledged us with a smile and a nod.  They were the polar opposites of the Tiki-Torch-carrying Nazis I saw on the video out of Charlottesville, Virginia the other day--enraged hatemongers intent on instilling fear in others not of their ilk.  The men who jogged by my dog and me this morning probably didn't think much about the significance of their greetings, but for me it momentarily reined in my dwindling faith in the human species and reminded me that there still are decent people in this world of ours.
Getting started on the trail west of Tortugas Mountain

Shadow/light

In the high foothills

Curve-billed Thrasher (Toxostoma curvirostre)

Plumed Crinklemat (Tiquilia greggii) in the upper foothills

Woolly Paperflower

Shade break #1

Nipple Beehive Cactus buds

Shade break #2

Barrel Cactus buds

Loggerhead Shrike (Lanius ludovicianus)

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

What a relief to have positive experiences and be able to see nature's beauty during this troubled time.

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...