Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Encountering Two Friends

View from the mountain's shadow
Apologies in advance for all the Roadrunner images, but I'm fascinated by this creature--especially the one pictured here; it seems Becca and I often encounter him at the same time and same place in the early mornings.  He's out hunting for breakfast, and he is singularly unafraid of us.  Today he once came within 10 or 15 feet of both Becca and me.  Later when I told our pal Jimmy (who we bumped into on our inbound leg) about the Roadrunner he told me he'd had encounters with the same bird, who was hunting for something to eat and wasn't bothered in the least by Jimmy's presence.  It's a marvelous thing to have encounters with one of nature's wild inhabitants.
Is that our old friend the Roadrunner?

Prickly Pears and Ocotillos

It's our pal the Roadrunner

On his daily hunt for breakfast

Keeping an eye on us even though he's unafraid

Check out what a Roadrunner's foot looks like

Intent on finding food

Partial wing spread

On the move

The "I've a mind to come over there and kick your ass" look

Missed one

That moth went that-a-way

Comin' atcha

Is that bug worth chasing?

My Mohawk look

Roadrunners are members of the cuckoo family

Show us your cotton tail . . .

. . . before you run

Desert jungle

The only clouds over the Organs

Actually a shredded cloud

Fall colors in an Ocotillo

What's that I spot in the gully?

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

That roadrunner is quite a character, just like this one: /Users/katemangelsdorf/Desktop/Unknown.jpg

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...