Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, April 22, 2022

Barely Beating the Wind

Morning moon 4/22/22
We did the same hike as yesterday, and we were fortunate to beat the wind; we're supposed to have high winds with strong gusts both today and tomorrow.  Red Flag warning for both days.

The wind is pretty much raging right now (1:23 p.m.), and it's only going to get worse.  Tomorrow's warnings include one for blowing dust.  That is never good.

When we got home I climbed up on our roof to see if I could determine what was going on up there early this morning; I was awakened at 4 a.m. by some animal(s) dancing on the rooftop; possibilities included neighborhood domestic cat, bobcat, owl, grackles jitterbugging.  I saw nothing when I got up there that would implicate any of the suspected culprits.

Lower left quadrant:  an arroyo we've followed before

Carpenter Bee hovering

Not long now

This & next:  Mesquite Trees and the mountains


Willow and Frio in a yucca shadow

Shade producing yucca

Until today I thought this Ocotillo was dead

This & next:  "dead" Ocotillo buds


Semi-artsy shot with a bird photobomb

New growth on Prickly Pear

This & next:  same Torrey Yucca crown


Frio and Willow in Torrey Yucca shadow

This & next:  me in Torrey Yucca shadow


This and next:  hummingbird on yucca stalk


The rest:  Ocotillo buds and flowers



 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

The photo of the Ocotillo that looked dead reminds me of how resilient desert plants can be.

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...