Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, September 21, 2023

Best and Worst of Times

1st 3:  exploring arroyos
Willow, Frio and I hiked down LDR-A, crossed the Tellbrook Arroyo, turned east to parallel it for a while and then headed north in a small arroyo.  Not far up that narrow arroyo we encountered a small number of coyotes running together.  One--a youngster--seemed particularly curious about us and returned to have a closer look.  He couldn't have been more than 30 feet ahead of us.

Of course the "O"s spotted it and went nuts, barking and snarling at the curious Canis latrans.  I was able to hold them at bay with both hands, but when I took both their leads into my left hand in order to break out my camera, the Heelers were nearly wild.  Still the coyote lingered, in part, I think, because I was talking to it, telling it to "Wait."  It lingered long enough for me to get several good photos before deciding it was time to leave.

The worst part of the hike--trying to keep the dogs in check on their leads--got even worse as they pulled forward, their noses glued to the earth as they followed the scent of passing coyotes.



This & next 7:  curious coyote








This & next 2:  more arroyos



Ocotillos and the mountains

Peaceful looking coyote antagonists

The right branch arroyo

This & next:  a little overnight rain brings new buds ...

...on the Nipple Beehive Cactus

Ocotillos in sunlight

 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Amazing photos of that young coyote. I love the close-up images of its face.

Another Wednesday Walkabout

A male Gambel's Quail in a mesquite We did our regular hike again today, adding distance by doing a short bushwhack out of the left bran...