Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, August 10, 2024

I Stop for Snakes

Dug in for a nap
We did our regular hike (with one detour) this morning, and it was plenty hot.  There was a steady breeze that rose to near-wind briskness at times.

Took a lot of shade and water breaks along the way.  When we started down the middle branch arroyo we headed west so I could take photos of a few barrel cacti we hadn't seen before.

Most notable thing about today's trek was the Crambid Snout Moth that I photographed.  I'm not sure I'd ever seen one before.

Took a long drive after our outing.

Willow on break

Triple barrel cactus

 

At the confluence of the crossover and the middle branch

Dr. K and Wils

Unfortunate image choice

Middle Branch Arroyo

This & next:  Crambid Snout Moth


This & next:  Ocotillo leaves yellowing out


They still make these?  (note rock with hawk shadow)

Pulled over to nudge this Gopher Snake off the road

This & next:  same Gopher Snake


This & next 3:  barrel cactus buds and blossoms



Desert Unicorn Plant

Barrel cactus

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

That butterfly is so well camouflaged.

The Lowdown

Willow looking over her domain Forest hike this morning.  Back to the cabin to pack.  Drive down the mountain to the lower desert where we a...