Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Precipitation

Needle-nose
104 days without precipitation, and none on the horizon.  We did a long hike west of Tortugas Mountain this morning and saw only one other hiker.  It occurred to me that more people should get a good look at the desert under drought conditions.  Most city-dwellers have a false impression about the consequences of lack of rain because they live in urban areas where water can be used to water city landscapes.
Hummingbird in flight

Becca's favorite prey:  Jackrabbit

Beach-dry arroyo


On the beach

On the road again

Crater in a rock

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

It's nice to see so many jackrabbits. I hope they aren't having difficulty finding water.

Jasmine Walt said...

My goodness! I forgot that jackrabbits are so big! The bunnies I see out by the Sandia's are tiny-- that rabbit looks giant in comparison!

Oh, and yes, I know Sandia=watermelon. I must say that when the sun hits them just right they really are the exact same shade. And watermelon is my favorite fruit, so it just tickles me pink (ha!).

Oh, and when I was walking on a trail by the Sandia's I saw the exact same cloud you had taken a picture of earlier. How crazy is that?

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...