Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, August 26, 2012

East to West and Back

Monolith on the east side of Tortugas
Dr. K, Becca and I started off at the Monte Vista parking area, hiked around the east, south and west sides of the mountain, then retraced our steps.  It was another humid morning, one that started with a stiff breeze, which we lost midway through the trek.  We only ran into one jogger out there today.  The area was pretty much devoid of humans.  We've seen an abundance of millipedes this season, far more than at any time in the past.  In this area of the country birds are their primary predators.  But why so many millipedes now?
Growing right out of the rock


One of countless millipedes we saw today

One of our favorite vistas west of Tortugas

Not far from the car now

Empty .22-caliber cartridge box and target board

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

Seeing that gun stuff was depressing, but otherwise the desert was beautiful as always.

Scott said...

eSome beautiful images today, Packrat. I especially enjoyed the first image, and the image of the vista that you all like of the Organ Mountains behind Tortugas. Despite the humidity, the sky is really deep blue.

I find it hard to believe that birds (or anything else) eat millipedes. They emit a nasty smelling fluid when disturbed, and they seem like brittle little cases of shell--hardly worth the trouble. I have no idea why you might be inundated with the creatures this year--weird!

Last Friday, I saw the largest (and most handsome) slug I have ever seen here in Pennsylvania. It was crawling across an asphalt pathway and I nearly stepped on it. It was about 6 inches long, and its tan body was covered with paired dark spots. Other than the famous banana slugs of the Northwest, this was my largest slug ever! Most of the slugs I see are nondescript, about an inch long, and flesh-colored. I'm no slug lover, but I couldn't help but be impressed.

packrat said...

Thanks, Scott. I'm sure if we compared the relative humidity from where you are and where I am the disparity would be enormous.

Believe it or not, millipedes do have predators.

I think your new handle should be "slug lover."

:)

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...