Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, August 3, 2012

Rim Trail, Section 4

I'm going with Spreading Fleabane
Dr. K, Becca and I tackled the Rim Trail's fourth section this morning and into the early afternoon.  We hiked much further than we've ever gone before on this trail, and it was pretty difficult.  The temperature was quite high, as was the humidity level, and the altitude really seemed to get to us.  Don't get me wrong, it was well worth the effort; but we were pretty exhausted by the time we got back to the Jeep.  Everybody except Ms. Becca, I should say.  She's got more energy than ten normal puppies.
Nodding Onion

View from the western escarpment of the Sacramento Mountains

The very limber Ms. Becca

Looking southwest from the Rim Trail

Sacramento Mountains, White Sands and the San Adres Mountains

Come out to the meadow, Bonnie Becca (from The Prime of Miss Becca Dogie)


View from the Rim

Baby Horned Lizard (peanut size)

A good spot for lunch

Deer near the Rim Trail

Browsing for delicacies

Moving through the forest

6 comments:

Dr. K said...

It was nice to explore this trail more than we ever have before.

Anonymous said...

The nodding onion is one of the most unique flowers I have seen. I also liked the natural "cross" the branches made, and a Bambi sighting is always an "Awww" moment for me:)

Anonymous said...

(The cross I was refering to is in the middle of the 5th pic down.)

Scott said...

Your photographic skills (always good) seem to be getting better and better. Kudos!

I always associated horned lizards with sandy desert, not pine duff; shows you how much I know about Southwestern ecology! But, with your help, I'm learning!

I can almost smell the hot pine resin--my "madeleines." Thanks for letting me tag along.

packrat said...

Ruby:

Didn't notice the cross until you pointed it out. Yes, we always love to spot deer. The nodding onion is a beautiful flower. We tasted a bit of the plant--it's one bitter onion!

packrat said...

Scott: Thanks. I'm glad you liked the images. There's always so much to photograph up here. I'm still trying to ID that darned scarlet flower; I think it's a type of Gilia, but I can't find it anywhere. I even wrote to an expert at the University of New Mexico, but I haven't heard back from her yet.

The Wilster and Me

Organ Mountains from Baylor Canyon Road We had to wait for a plumber from Sun City Plumbing to change out the hose bib next to the garage; f...