Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, November 3, 2013

An Extra-Long Trek

Tortugas Mountain from the foothills of the Organ Mountains
Dr. K, Becca and I set off on the Sierra Vista Trail this morning at 7:45 a.m.  It's a 29-mile National Recreational Trail that starts in the high foothills of the Organ Mountains and crosses into Texas where it links up with the trail system in Franklin Mountains State Park.  It's often used by long-distance mountain bikers, though we saw only one during our hike.  Additionally we crossed paths with one male jogger and two female hikers.  Both Dr. K and I sampled Barrel Cactus fruit for the first time.  Our consensus:  tangy and tart.
Heading south on the Sierra Vista Trail

The magnificent Organ Mountains, Sotol in the foreground

The rugged canyons

One happy hiker

Equestrians are allowed on this trail

If you're going there you'd better be prepared

Another view of Tortugas (Tortoise) Mountain

 Paper Flowers still blooming

Desert Zinnia still in bloom

Looking back after hiking several miles

Becca and cairn (trail marker)

Packrat beside a large Little-Leaf Sumac

What's Becca staring at?

She's staring at Torrey Yuccas, which look like people on the horizon

A rock trail marker on the Sierra Vista

A type of Plagiobothrys (Popcorn Flower)?

Turpentine Bush


What a place to live, huh?

Barrel Cactus with a crop of fruit
Because of Scott I had to sample Barrel Cactus fruit

4 comments:

Caroline said...

You're more adventurous than I am! But maybe next time I'm there....

Dr. K said...

I'm glad I survived tasting the fruit from the barrel cactus.

Scott said...

Packrat: Your image of the Organ Mountains, the blue sky with clouds, and the Sotol in the foreground was one of the best images you've ever shared with us. Bravo!

Were you hesitant to try the cactus fruit? Often, when I'm leading a walk as a naturalist and I suggest to participants that they sample something I know to be edible, the participants will wrinkle up their noses and politely demure. Of course, I've got to prove my own knowledge and will nibble away while the group grimaces. People are so removed from the natural world.

packrat said...

Thanks so much for the kind compliment on the image, Scott.

My only hesitance in tasting the cactus fruit stemmed from what I'd read the day before: that the center section is like okra, a vegetable I detest. I solved that problem by not eating the seeds in the center. As you probably know you cannot simply pick a fruit from the Prickly Pear and eat it because of dangerous spines. I have actually scraped all of the spines from a Prickly Pear, shaved off the skin and sampled the fruit--which is better than the Barrel Cactus fruit. I've also had Prickly Pear jelly, which is good primarily because it's been sweetened.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...