Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Becca Bumppo

No path finding required here
The blog title refers to James Fenimore Cooper's heroic character Natty Bumppo, specifically his role in The Pathfinder, one of the five novels comprising the Leatherstocking Tales.  I call her this because she did a phenomenal job of finding a trail that had been long grown over with weeds from this summer's heavy rains.  Although the path didn't look familiar to me I had the good sense to follow her, and, much to my surprise, she led us back the right way.  We hadn't taken this particular trail in over a year, so I was amazed by her path-finding skills. 
Trekking far away from Tortugas

Entering a large arroyo whose bottom was surprisingly hard

Old Curved Bill

Old Curved Bill (a Curve-billed Thrasher)

Becca loves a good wash (aka "arroyo")

Looking back at Tortoise Mountain

Pencil Cholla fruit

Wide, sandy arroyo

Out of the arroyo to do some bushwhacking

Even further away from the mountains

Hedgehog Cactus and Becca the Pathfinder

Heading back in

5 comments:

Dr. K said...

I like the 2 photos of the curved-bill thrasher.

Scott said...

I won't ask you to sample the cholla fruit. Look at those spines!

And, I agree with Dr. K: the thrasher images are very nice.

packrat said...

Thank you, Dr. K and Scott. Not going to try the Pencil Cholla fruit. First I'd have to scrape all the spines off of them; and, since they're the size of peanuts, I'd have to do too much work to get my fill.

Caroline said...

I always knew Becca was smart! I hope she got some extra treats. Great photos, too.

packrat said...

Thanks, Caroline.

:)

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...