Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, January 7, 2019

Longer Hike on the Sunset Side

About a mile in
Woke up before the alarm went off again this morning, so Becca and I got an early start on our hike west of Tortugas Mountain.  It wasn't quite as cold out there today, and the abundant sunshine forced me to remove the vest I was wearing under my coat.  Because we weren't freezing our butts off I decided to extend the trek a bit further than usual, and Becca seemed to agree, doing just fine with the extra distance.  As we headed back in on the final leg of our outing we rounded a bend and encountered two hikers with their two white poodles.  We've bumped into these folks several times in the past, and they're really nice.  Their dogs are friendly, too, so we enjoyed a funny moment as the poodles circled around smelling Becca, and Becca tried her best to return the favor.  The hikers and I spoke briefly about the wonderful weather for being outside in early January before we all went on our merry ways.  The Beckster and I had a good outing this morning.
Potrillo Mountain

Becca, yucca, yucca shadow, my shadow

Yucca, its shadow and my shadow

Follow the single-track

OK

Still following the single-track

Picacho Peak and environs

Nipple Beehive Cactus (Coryphantha macromeris) in winter

Still on the single-track

Ocotillos against an Organ Mountain backdrop

Tortugas and the Organs

Never bushwhack through here

Longer view of Tortugas Mountain and the Organs

And yet another view of the Portrillos

Say's Phoebe

The same Say's Phoebe

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

It's amazing how well a bird such as a Say's Phoebe can perch on top of a spiky cactus.

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...