Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Nothing Tricky About This Trickster

Wednesday morning moon
25F when Becca and I set off this morning, 38F when we returned.  In between those moments we did a fairly long hike west of Tortugas Mountain, during which we were fortunate enough to see a lone Coyote hunting for breakfast.  We first saw the Jackrabbit he was eyeing as we started down the new trail, and then we saw the Trickster who was angling for a taste of Hare McMuffin.  He was momentarily distracted by the clucking and whistling noises I made to catch his attention, and, initially, I thought he would skedaddle quickly.  He didn't, though, pausing long enough to have a look at us and to allow me to take about 20 images of him before moving off.  Although it was cold out there the brilliant sun and lack of wind helped to warm us significantly.  Becca and I were quite satisfied at the end of our trek.
First sighting

Our "clucking" noises distracted him from a Jackrabbit he'd been eyeing

Check out those eyes

My own Trickster

Cactus Wren on a Soaptree Yucca stalk

Same Cactus Wren

Prickly Pear Cactus

Huge Torrey Yucca

The way west

Large Soaptree Yucca

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol chopper

Back to the hunt for breakfast

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

What a beautiful coyote. Too bad for the jackrabbit, though.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...