Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Century Mark Plus

Sun just about to break over the mountain
Becca and I got an early start this morning, hitting the trail just before 7:15; we wanted to beat the heat as much as possible today because we're slated to reach 102F this afternoon.  Despite the heat we extended the hike about a half mile because we heard coyotes yipping in the near distance and we wanted to see if we could get a look at them; not surprisingly, that didn't happen.

I perspired a bit out there this morning, and I had to mop my brow repeatedly to keep sweat from running into my eyes; there's nothing quite as painful as salty perspiration in your eyeballs (if you've ever experienced that unpleasant sensation).

The parking lot was full as we headed back, and I had the feeling some kind of planned activity was going on out there; the several teenage runners who passed us on the final leg of our trek seemed to confirm my suspicions.
Just west of Tortugas

Trail along the arroyo

Ocotillos/sky/clouds

More than a dozen

Careful how you grab that thing

Slope of the mountain

Bushwhacking point

Couldn't get a clear shot of the cottontail

Stinkeye from a Loggerhead Shrike

How to tell when a Loggerhead Shrike disapproves of you

Check out that weapon

Leaving the trail behind

Tintype of Billy the Kid's shadow on a yucca

I hear coyotes

Franklin Mountains in the distance

Big old Torrey Yucca

View through the yucca

Another shade break (in my shadow)

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

That beak on the Loggerhead Shrike looks awfully sharp. Neat photos, Packrat.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...