Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, July 22, 2019

Rude Awakening

Sky at start
Becca woke me (and Dr. K) at 3:22 a.m. today, informing us of an ongoing storm she didn't particularly like.  We sat up with her for a while, Dr. K returning to bed a bit earlier than me.  The storm passed quickly, and after Becca fell asleep I went back to bed, but I had trouble sleeping.  Of course, by the time the alarm went off at 5:15 I was in deep slumber, so I lay there a few minutes more.

The morning dawned overcast--with a fairly stiff breeze--but as soon as Becca and I got outside it became apparent how humid conditions were.  Nonetheless, the weather made for a pleasant trek west of Tortugas Mountain.

After finishing the first leg of our hike we noticed our pal Raymond coming up behind us.  We met him on the road to the mountaintop and hiked with him for a spell before heading in different directions.  There were quite a few outdoor enthusiasts on and about the mountain this morning, and I guess I've finally concluded that it will be crowded continuously from now on.  Too many people have discovered the Tortugas Mountain Trails system I suppose.
Sky at start, looking west

I've got another Prickly Pear fruit fetish going on this morning




These 2 were tussling in a yucca & at 1st I thought "Cactus Wrens"

But it was this Cactus Wren . . .

. . . and this Loggerhead Shrike (I'd never witnessed such a spat before)

Virga over the Mesilla Valley

This and the next:  Ocotillo branches poking skyward


Cottontail among the rocks

Whitethorn Acacia growing at elevation

This & the next 2:  views of Tortugas's flank & the Organ Mountains



This kind of morning in the northern Chihuahuan Desert

Two more distant shots of Tortugas and the Organs

#2

Sun over Tortugas Mountain

More Prickly Pears

A look at the west side of Tortugas Mountain

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

All that prickly pear fruit is a true sign that we're heading into late summer. Beautiful photos as always, Packrat.

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...