Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, May 3, 2024

Friday's Bushwhack

Cactulabra
We got an early start on our hike this morning, Dr. K, Willow and I following our usual route across to the left branch arroyo.  From there we bushwhacked over to the base of 4210 hill and climbed it when we noticed that Mrs. and Mr. Swainsy were not on their nest.

After Willow scanned the territory from the crest for a bit we were ready to descend the northwest slope; that's when Dr. K spotted a Swainson's Hawk sitting atop the stalk of a Soaptree Yucca down below.  Wanting to get some pics of the raptor I suggested we approach it when we reached the base.

I was able to get a few fairly decent images without getting too near the hawk; the last thing I want to do whenever I see these beautiful creatures is force them to fly away.  This one stay perched in the same spot long after we stopped for me to take photos.

Willow at rest

No Swainson's Hawks near the nest

This & next 4:  Dr. K spotted Swainsy below 4210 hill





Soaptree with new stalks

Walk like an Egyptian

Prickly Pear

 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

I like that last image of the Prickly Pear flowering cactus.

Bird in the Bush

This morning's moon Scorcher out there this morning.  We did our usual route with no extra yardage.  Saw no other nature enthusiasts (lu...