Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Early to Rise


Research Associate Becca and I got an early start this morning on the sunrise side of Tortugas Mountain. This is a shot looking west at the mountain.
Beyond the parking lot, the trail is clearly visible.
This is the trail that circles the mountain on its flank, in this case heading clockwise around the monolith.
Looking south from the trail toward Bishop's Cap and El Paso's Franklin Mountains.

Becca and I saw some interesting plantlife, including this pincushion cactus; I say "pincushion" even though the longer spines look like fishhooks, thereby qualifying this plant as a fishhook cactus, perhaps.


And we stopped to photograph this beautiful White Horsenettle. All in all, a very satisfying outing today.

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Becca told me that this was one of the best hikes you guys have taken--ever. She loves the early morning.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...