Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, July 14, 2008

Horned Lizard or "Horny Toad"?


This morning's research on the west flank of Tortugas Mountain resulted in some interesting, previously unknown information. Research Associate Becca and I came upon this Horned Lizard just off the trail. Fortunately, Becca didn't see the lizard or I would have had to physically drag her away from the specimen. Here's what I learned: lizard's molt. As you can see in this photo, this particular lizard is in full molt, shedding the skin that doesn't grow with the body to reveal new skin beneath.


I can't help including a few extra photos of late-blooming strawberry cactus flowers.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow--I've never seen a lizard molt before!!

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...