Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, February 1, 2013

Warming Nicely

A thorny issue (Pencil Cholla)
It felt cold when Becca and I hit the trail this morning, but the temperature soon warmed up.  With the bright sunlight and an absence of wind it almost seemed like we could be heading for an early spring.  We won't get our hopes up, though, because the cold will undoubtedly return.  We didn't bump into anybody on the trail, but there were quite a few cars in the Sunset Parking lot when we got back to the trailhead--including Jimmy's truck.  Jimmy left a book on my car, a 1936 account of the Civilian Conservation Corps.
Canine torpedo

Barrel Cactus destroyed by the cold weather

Desert Broom (foreground)

Soaptree Yucca siblings

3 comments:

Scott said...

On the Pencil Chollas, the points are almost longer than the pencils! Neat plant!

Dr. K said...

I can't wait for the desert broom to start blooming.

packrat said...

#2 Pencil Chollas wouldn't have made good writing implements in school, Scott.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...