Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Perennial Question

I've always taken great solace in Nature, believing that it is evidence of the ongoing cycle of life.  And I feel fairly certain--given the awesome vastness of the universe--that other life forms exist outside of our solar system, outside our galaxy.  But every so often a question pops into my head, one I find mildly disturbing:  what if there are no other organisms, and Earth is simply the first seed from which future life must grow?


4 comments:

Dr. K said...

Either way, I wish humanity would take better care of our planet.

packrat said...

Excellent point, Dr. K!

:)

Scott said...

Would that be such a bad thing if it's true? I think there's probably lots of life out there, but so what? The distances are so vast that without a "wormhole," there's almost zilch likelihood we'll ever encounter one another, so we Earthlings may as well be the only forms of life out there.

Whenever I encounter sci-fi about humans leaving a devastated Earth to colonize another planet I despair. We're certain to screw up that place, too.

packrat said...

Your last statement is exactly what I was getting at, Scott.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...