Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Around the Hacienda


A young White-Winged Dove
I didn't take my camera along when Becca and I did a very short hike on the west side of Tortugas Mountain early this morning.  I shortened the hike radically to prevent her from hurting her elbow further.  After I returned from shopping at Target I took the camera out into the backyard of the hacienda and snapped a few shots of local wildlife. The short video of the Roadrunner (with radio playing in the background) I took from inside the patio enclosure, through the glass.
Mama showed up with food right after I took the first pic

Mesquite leafing out in the backyard

A second large Mesquite leafing out










4 comments:

Dr. K said...

It's fun to watch the mama dove take care of her little ones.

Scott said...

Do you put out wild birdfood, Packrat? If you do, do the White-winged Doves eat it? What else might you attract if you put it out? For example, would you attract varmints that you'd rather not have near the house?

packrat said...

Scott:

We don't put bird food out, and, yes, it would attract varmints. Not sure if the doves would eat it.

One year when we were living in El Paso we put birdseed out, and the result was like an ongoing scene out of Hitchcock's "The Birds." We even had to remove our hummingbird feeders temporarily because the House Finches were standing on the edges of the feeder, tipping it so they could drink (what they undoubtedly thought was KoolAid), and leaving a sticky mess on the ground that attracted ants.

Caroline said...

I remember that day in El Paso! I haven't put out bird seed since!

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...