Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, April 1, 2013

Summer-like Spring Day

A Red-Shafted Flicker tail feather (Scott convinced me)
It was downright warm when we set out on the trail around Tortugas Mountain this morning.  I took off my light jacket less than a mile in.  The vehicle which we saw parked on the south mesa beyond the large arroyo behind Tortugas--the one that looked as if somebody was standing outside of its back door in the distance--turned out to be a Border Patrol SUV.  I didn't know this until I got home and blew the photo up.  The feather in image #1 is one I've never seen here in the Chihuahuan Desert before.
Mesquite Trees are starting to leaf out

On the road behind the mountain

Border Patrol vehicle in the outback

Jet contrail across the moon's face

You know it's hot when Becca seeks out shade


4 comments:

Dr. K said...

I wonder what the Border Patrol was doing there?

Scott said...

Packrat: Have you ever spotted Northern "Red-shafted" Flickers in the area? Though there aren't any stipples of white on your feather like most woodpecker feathers bear, the red shaft surely is suggestive. The feather may also be a tail feather of the flicker, which may not have any white stippling.

Scott said...

I've enlarged the image and the small pointed tip on the feather is more and more suggestive to me of a flicker tail feather.

packrat said...

Scott: We've seen Northern Flickers in the Sacramento Mountains, but I don't recall ever seeing one here in the lower desert. Your suggestion got me to wondering if it might be a Ladderback Woodpecker's tail feather, but the Ladderback's is white, not red. Thanks.

Cholla Surprise

Black-chinned Hummingbird We had a good, semi-long hike this morning, adding distance by doing a bit of bushwhacking over to the saddle sout...