Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Creepy Crawler

Starting around Tortugas
Becca and I are in High Rolls in the Sacramento Mountains now, but this morning we did an early hike around Tortugas Mountain in the lower desert.  Upon arrival here we found the top portion of a tree blocking two-thirds of our drive, so I had to spend an hour chopping and hauling wood out of our road.  Just another unexpected pleasure of having a place in the mountains.  I had other work to do up here, so this was an unplanned chore.  One nice thing about working outdoors in the mountains, though:  I got rained on while chopping the tree.
Looking west from the high foothills of the Tortoise

Devil's Head Cactus (Echinocereus horizonthalonius)

Higher on the mountain now

In the distance the Organ Mountains

Tarantula

I called it "creepy," but it doesn't creep me out at all

About the size of your palm with fingers outstretched

Devil's Heads in the process of blooming

Usually the Devil's Head has one flower

Much-needed break in skimpy shade

Ripe pears of the Prickly Pear Cactus (I've eaten them after de-spining)

5 comments:

Scott said...

I don't know if I mentioned that I finally found someone to take care of the "yard" around our retirement house in Colorado. You have no idea how much relief this gives me. The "yard" doesn't get out of control with growth (it's too dry up in the mountains), but there are a lot of weeds that grow in and amongst the flagstones of our walkways and patio. When Kali and I go out to the house, we spend about two days just dealing with the weeds. I finally identified a local person who will come to the house periodically and control the weeds; finding someone was a lot harder than I thought it would be because we're so far outside Fort Collins; the regular landscape maintenance crews don't want to spend the time coming out to take care of one yard.

We've got short, stunted trees around our property, but nothing that would interfere with access if they died and/or fell over. We have all our trees sprayed professionally each spring to protect them from the western pine bark beetle.

packrat said...

Glad to hear you've got your yard situation under control, Scott. I know what you mean about fretting over the weed control issue; even though we're only 1 1/2 hours away from our place in the mountain I'm constantly monitoring the weather reports to see how much rain we're getting in High Rolls. When it's raining up here (where I am now)I know the weeds and grasses are just sponging it up in order to spur more rapid growth. Just bought a battery-operated string trimmer so I can whack weeds even further away from the house.

:)

Liz Tipping said...

Catching up on your blog- hailstones and wet weather are very familiar to me, but I was taken aback by the tarantula! I did meet one recently in an educational setting and stroked his furry legs to appear brave in front of the five years olds but seeing one in the wild like that is incredible!

Dr. K said...

I'm not looking forward to encountering any tarantulas in the near future.

packrat said...

Thanks for dropping by, Liz. I seem to be missing people's comments of late even though I try to make a point of checking back on my posts. You have one over on me; I have never stroked a tarantula on any part of its body.

:)

The Low High Country

Morning sky Dr. K, Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, headed back home and finished packing for our trip to the high country, w...