Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

6 a.m., 49 Degrees

Soaptree Yuccas west of Tortugas Mountain
Becca and I hit the trail at 6 a.m. this morning because I thought I might miss the flowering of a Night Blooming Cereus I've been monitoring for years, but on closer inspection I notice it doesn't have buds at all, but rather two new stems instead.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for new buds in coming days.

One advantage to getting on the trail so early was a chance to see familiar scenes in different light.  I think I got some good images to show what I mean.  Another advantage was the sense that we had the whole place to ourselves; there were only two cars in the Sunset Area parking lot when we came out.  Getting a very early start also meant that we would beat the heat, but I certainly didn't think it would feel this chilly before sunrise:  49 degrees Fahrenheit.  Wearing only a short-sleeve shirt and hiking shorts I definitely was under-dressed.  Becca was fine in her regular fur coat, so she had no complaints.
Soaptree Yuccas

Two telephoto images of the morning moon


Abundant fruit of the Torrey Yucca

Soaptree Yuccas

Centennial High School and the Doña Ana Mountains

Early morning sun on Picacho Peak

Becca on the mountain road

Soaptree Yuccas

Soaptree Yuccas and a long view across the Mesilla Valley

More Soaptree Yuccas

A little "Dry Brush" filter technique

Geothermal Road looking west

Two images of Twinleaf Senna


The Beckster leading the way

Picacho Peak

Meh

Two B&Ws

#2

Shadow and light

Scouting the territory

Count the Soaptree Yuccas

Desert panoramsa

Light and shadow

This and the next 3:  more Soaptree Yuccas




Looking at the Sunset Area ramada

Two new stems on a Night Blooming Cereus

Trail south

One of the Soaptree Yuccas on our property

Two closeups of the flowers


1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Really nice images of the early morning moon. And I also like the close-up photos of the yucca flowers.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...