Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, May 27, 2019

Low Desert Lowdown

This and the next:  Soaptree Yuccas and Desert Willows
Becca and I got an early start this morning, but not early enough to beat the large crowd of people already out on the Sunset side of Tortugas Mountain.  I decided to hike on the near side despite the crowd because I wanted to check on the progress of a Night Blooming Cereus I've been watching for years; it has two prominent buds now.

Right off we ran into two women with two dogs, all of whom were friendly.  We also encountered runners out on Geothermal Road.  On the inbound leg of our trek we met our pal Raymond and hiked back to the parking area with him.

It was nice to see so many people out enjoying nature on Memorial Day; I just wish young men would refrain from climbing to the mountaintop and screaming at the top of their lungs for no apparent reason other than to hear themselves.

This and the next 2:  Soaptree Yuccas out near Tortugas Mountain



Becca west of the mountain

Becca on break #1

Organ Mountains in the distance

A tall Soaptree Yucca

See how tall this one is?

This and the next 5:  the same Western Kingbird






Becca on break #2

Back way into the city

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

That Western Kingbird has a very majestic appearance.

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...