Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Midweek Sojourn

Does this look like a desert?
It was a fairly early start for Becca and me on this beautiful and cooler morning in the northern Chihuahuan Desert.  It was a veritable meet-and-greet as we hiked along the western side of the mountain; first up, a tall, thin man with the most amazingly long silver beard--most definitely in the ZZ Top category.  He looked at Becca and said, "Obviously some Cattle Dog in her."  After that he and I talked dog breeds for a while before heading opposite directions.

Next up:  Tracey and her dog George and their friend Marie (I think); We talked Strawberry Hedgehog and other blooming cacti in our region of the desert.  First thing I did after we all went our separate ways was to photograph a Strawberry Hedgehog.  I keep telling myself to desist from taking images of them, but I can't.

From there Becca and I climbed the upper foothills trail to where it crested at the base of the huge limestone formation just below the mountain road.  I made her wait while I bushwhacked up the rocky slope to photograph--what else?--more Strawberry Hedgehogs.  They were blooming profusely up there, and I just couldn't help myself.  I got the added benefit of encountering a Desert Cottontail, though, and I took a few photos of it.

As we headed down the mountain road we saw our good buddy Jimmy approaching; even though I tried to keep Becca back she trotted a good half-city block to get to him.  Her reward, as always, was a good petting, and she was so grateful.  Jimmy and I talked about several different subjects including the new movie The River and The Wall, which he viewed on Amazon Prime last night.  He highly recommended it, and I can't wait to watch, already having seen a preview video in the past.
Strawberry Hedgehog

Which came first, the Strawberry Hedgehog or the small Mesquite tree?

This and the next:  Ash-throated Flycatcher


This and the next 2:  late-blooming Claret Cup Hedgehog



Prickly Pear

Becca on the mountain's western flank

Whitethorn Acacia

An idea of how many Strawberry Hedgehog on the mountain's west side

Looks like one, but it's two Strawberry Hedgehogs side-by-side

Look who I found in the rocky outcrop

Not too worried about me

One last look before . . .

. . . skedaddling

Closer look at these two Strawberry Hedgehog plants

And again

Couldn't choose between this one or . . .

. . . this one

Prickly Pear blossom

Closer look at it

This and the next 2:  Strawberry Hedgehog flowers



What's that little bump on the Ocotillo branch?

Aha!

It's a Black-throated Hummingbird

This & the next:  Ash-throated Flycatcher (maybe I'll comb my hair like that)


This and the rest:  Prickly Pear blossoms




1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Gorgeous photos of the cactus blossoms. And I'm glad you included a photo of the whitethorn acacia, which has such a fragrant aroma this time of year.

Views from the Grand View

Sacramentos We did the Grand View Trail this morning, surprised that nobody else was there on a Sunday morning.  We hiked the entire first l...