Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Thursday Trekking

Littleleaf Palo Verde
Becca and I got a later start this morning because I got caught up watching "Breaking News" on CNN--our idiot president ranting for 17 1/2 minutes, lying his ass off as usual.  I won't do that again.

There were quite a few cars parked out where we leave Whitey the CR-V, but we only encountered one mountain biker--a young woman--on our outbound leg.  On the way in, however, we bumped into a bunch of hikers, and I was puzzled about how crowded the area seemed for a Thursday morning.  Nevertheless, the Beckster and I had a very nice hike today, most of it on the west side of Tortugas Mountain here in our section of the northern Chihuahuan Desert.
Tree Cholla

This and the next 3:  Klein's Pencil Cholla (Cylindropuntia Kleiniae)




Western foothills of Tortugas Mountain

Coming up the hill

Am I there yet?

Becca leading the way

Cactus Wren

Soaptree yucca

Becca on break

Ocotillo

Inside the above Ocotillo looking up

This and the next 2:  Mockingbird



This and the next 3:  Soaptree Yuccas




I think this is a juvenile Cactus Wren, but I'm not sure

Looks less like a Cactus Wren here

Ocotillo buds

Ocotillo with leaves

Cow Tongue Prickly Pear

Two similar images, this one with "Dry Brush" filter applied

On Geothermal Road near Tortugas Mountain

Soaptree Yuccas

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful photos, Packrat. I've never heard of Klein's Pencil Cholla--the flowers are gorgeous.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...