Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Salted Peanuts

First Soaptree Yucca I've seen in flower
For me, taking photographs of Strawberry Hedgehog Cactus flowers is like eating salted peanuts:  I know I should stop, but I can't.  It's obvious that we're going to have a bumper crop of said flowers this season as they're already blooming all over the west side of Tortugas Mountain.

It was a beautiful morning today as Becca and I did a fairly long trek around our section of the northern Chihuahuan Desert.  The only familiar face we saw was that of our buddy Raymond who had gotten an early start on his hike and was already on the final leg.  We talked for only a minute or two before parting ways.

All in all the Beckster and I had a very nice outing west of the mountain, and, at least temporarily, I've had a surfeit of Strawberry Hedgehog Cactus flowers.
Do I have enough pollen on me?

Strawberry Hedgehog Cactus

2

3

Rainbow Hedgehog

4

5

6

7

8

Becca in the upper foothills

Strawberry Hedgehog and Prickly Pear

A bumper crop of Strawberry Hedgehogs so far this season

Prickly Pear flowers

I'll leave it to you to pick out the subsequent Strawberry Hedgehogs




Break time among the boulders


Large Prickly Pear flower



Small Mesquite Tree with a yucca behind

Ocotillo flower

Prickly Pear

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

The strawberry hedgehog blossoms are incredibly beautiful. Your photos really capture their beauty, Packrat.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...