Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, April 18, 2021

A Winter's Day, Day Two

All "clouds over the Organs" unless otherwise captioned
Very cold overnight and into the morning hours; our furnace came on several times before dawn.  It was 46F with a stiff wind when Frio, Willow and I started our trek.  Although the Heelers stuck with their regular outerwear I had a long-sleeve shirt, trousers, a vest and my Marmot PreCip on.  I had to don my gloves before we'd hiked very far.

I thought about abbreviating the hike due to the miserable conditions, but surprised myself by trekking all the way to First Arroyo.  We popped inside for a very short respite before heading back.

Perhaps the biggest surprise on this wintry morning was the discovery of two separate clumps of Claret Cup Hedgehog Cacti blooming fairly profusely; they are pictured below.








All red flowers are Claret Cup Cactus










Frio and Willow



All birds are Turkey Vultures


Frio and Willow

Mormon Tea blossoming









 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

Gorgeous photos of the clouds over the Organs. I especially like the ones with the sun streaming through the clouds.

Bad Day All Around

Rest in peace, best male heeler ever.  Our beloved Frio The first thing we did this morning was to take Frio to the vet to put him out of hi...