Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, July 31, 2021

Caterpillars

Double Barrel Cactus
Partly cloudy and humid morning when Willow, Frio and I started our hike up to First Arroyo.  It was quite busy out there today; we encountered a single woman hiker, Mr. and Mrs. Big Hat and Mr. and Mrs. Runners.  We chatted briefly with all but the Big Hats.

Other interesting encounters were with a Greater Earless Lizard, a Lark Sparrow (I think) and several White-lined Sphinx caterpillars, which, at first, I thought were colorful flowers because I saw them from the corner of my eye.

Such a pleasure going and coming in the car when we don't have to drive through ongoing road construction.

Organ Mountains

This & the next 3:  Desert Zinnia bouquets (2 in B&W)




Greater Earless Lizard

I think this is a Lark Sparrow (Chondestes grammacus)

This & the next:  Willow and Frio in First Arroyo


This & the next:  Soaptree Yuccas in First Arroyo


Dayflowers and the Organ Mountains

A small Fishhook Barrel Cactus

Soaptree Yucca, Tortugas and the Organ Mountains

At first I thought these were flowers

White-lined Sphinx caterpillar

 

1 comment:

Dr. K said...

What beautiful caterpillars! I loved all of these photos you took on your hike with Frio and Willow.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...