Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Begging for a Breeze

Road to the top
This morning was one of those days when there is absolutely no breeze.  It was hot and humid, with no relief.  Our only consolation:  other idiots were out there, too.

I never got close enough to the bird in the video to identify it.  From the physical appearance it looks something like a wren, but I've never head a wren with a call like that.
Looking across the long, lonesome desert

The tortoise's head

That's not a bone in the middle of my forehead

How far ahead Becca gets at times (can you see her?)


Objects in the telephoto shot appear closer than they are


5 comments:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful birdsong.

Scott said...

The video image isn't clear enough for me to get many details. I agree that it doesn't sound like any wren that I know, though. Chihuahuan desert birders--this is your chance!

packrat said...

Scott: More research is in order. Watch, I'll never seen this bird again.

packrat said...

**Note: Further research proves fruitful. The bird is, in fact, a Cactus Wren. I went to the Cornell University website to hear a Cactus Wren. Listen to the "Texas" one to hear the similarity.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/cactus_wren/sounds

Funny, I've heard Cactus Wrens hundreds of times and I couldn't identify this one!

Scott said...

Mystery solved! You're right; I've never heard a Cactus Wren sound like that, either.

Low Country and then High

This & next:  Pyrrhuloxia (aka Desert Cardinal) Willow and I did our regular hike this morning, returning afterward to finish packing fo...