Search This Blog

Followers

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Lucas Canyon Trail

Mr. Trickster at work
Before we started off this morning I watched a Coyote eat a mouse.   Becca and I had seen the dead varmint yesterday on our property.  Mr. Coyote almost sauntered by it, but his sense of smell stopped him  in his tracks.  He picked up the mouse, threw it into his mouth by snapping his head back, and proceeded to chomp it up.  The Trickster's motto:  never pass up a free meal.

Later we did a long hike on the lower Lucas Canyon Trail, a trek we'd never done before.  It was gorgeous, and the weather was perfecto!
The trailhead of the lower Lucas Canyon Trail

I believe these are Penstemon Newmexicanus


Symbiosis

Cutleaf Coneflowers

Slyrocket (aka Scarlet Gilia)

New Mexico Thistle

A good place to eat trail mix

Old Aspens

The intrepid hikers

On top of a huge pine that was uprooted

?

The fungus among us

Meadow and mountains

Thistle and Sunflowers

Getting to the root of things

Heading down canyon

One last look back

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous pics!

Good to see you and Dr. K on lush green grass for a change!

From your stance on the pine, it looked like you had just defeated it in battle:)

Dr. K said...

Thanks, Ruby. This was a beautiful new trail for us.

Caroline said...

Great photos! And it looks like a trail even I could do!

Scott said...

Beautiful set of pictures, Packrat. If I had to choose my favorite, I'd probably select the cut-leaf coneflowers with the evergreen background.

packrat said...

Thanks Ruby, Dr. K, Caroline and Scott for your comments. Much appreciated! I've been spending a lot of time trying to identify flowers, and I must say that I've been frustrated in my efforts.

Friday Free-For-All

Soaptree Yucca at the side of LDR-A We got an early start this morning, but not as early as the Basset people and their hounds who we spotte...