Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Crowded Mountain


The trail cuts across a deep arroyo here
When we got out to Tortugas Mountain at 7:40 a.m. the parking lot at the Sunset Area was already completely full.  As soon as we started hiking we ran into thirteen or fourteen people who were jogging/speed-walking together in the early-morning coolness.  A moment later we encountered three women who were unsure of how to get back to the parking lot.  I pointed out the shortest route.  I'm not sure what's going on out there, but in all the years I've hike around Tortugas Mountain I've never seen so many people taking advantage of the area.  (Video:  Black-throated Sparrow.)
Becca watches hikers on the mountain

Small stand of Ocotillos

Three riders on horseback and a dog

The first equestrian and her dog

Trail out of the foothills (center)

Back in the foothills

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

Beautiful birdsong for a beautiful day.

Scott said...

Equestrians use "my" preserve frequently, but I've never seen an equestrian walk a dog while riding here.

packrat said...

I notice that the woman rider has her dog on a long lead, Scott, but I've seen her out there before with the dog off lead. I'd be a little concerned for the dog's safety, but the horse is obviously accustomed to the canine.

Before the Winds Came

Ocotillo blossoms We got a fairly early start this morning, saw the Basset people and their hounds while we descended LDR-A arroyo, saw a hu...