Search This Blog

Followers

Friday, August 30, 2013

Drippy Hike

7:48 a.m.  Tortugas Mountain shadows get longer each morning
The temperature when Becca and I started off this morning was 64 F, with a dewpoint of 62 degrees.  That means that the air was almost totally saturated with moisture.  And although it wasn't hot by any standards it felt really miserable because of the high humidity.  Additionally (unlike yesterday), the sun was beating down on us because there were few clouds.  Although we enjoyed our morning exercise, I think both Becca and I were glad when the trek had come to an end.
The air is dense with moisture

Still in the lower foothills

Pencil Cholla

Bushwhacking canine

West of Tortugas

Loggerhead Shrike

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

These are truly the dog days of summer.

Scott said...

Nice image of the shrike, Packrat!

Does the "drippy" in your post title refer to your forehead while you were walking? I think that I dislike humidity even more than I do heat.

Sometimes, when I arrive in my office in the morning on a cool but humid day (like you described), my land manager will have arrived first and opened all the windows "to let the cool air in." I appreciate his motivation, but I have to go around and close all the windows and put the air conditioner on the get the humidity out.

packrat said...

Yes, Scott, the drips I'm referring to are those emanating from my forehead. I have those southern Italian genes that in the Old Country provided for total evaporative body cooling in the Mediterranean heat.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...