Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Waiting Out the Rain

The threat of more rain
When I got up at 5:45 this morning it was raining hard.  I learned from the local weather woman--who had spent the night (just kidding!)--that it had been raining for several hours.  Becca and I had to wait another hour-and-a-quarter before we could hazard out to Tortugas Mountain.  We've had a lot of rain over the past few days, and the muddy conditions in the desert showed it.  About two-thirds of the way through our hike I thought we were going to get back dry; but then we got sprinkled upon pretty good.
Sunny disposition

She'll hike no matter the weather

Desert in shadow

Three-spot profile

The Ocotillos are having a good summer

Wet road around the mountain

Trekking along the wet dirt road

This way to the foothills

Across a flat plain of desert

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

It seems to me that we're getting more rain than is usual this time of year--I hope that's the case because of the drought.

Scott said...

You, too, have a sunny disposition, Packrat--at least in your posts. I'd have to check with Dr. K about your real-life persona.

We had absolutely torrential rain for about two hours during rush hour yesterday (Tuesday). We were virtually cut off from the world because "my" creek rose so high so fast it cut off most of the major road arteries. I had water (and mud) in my basement. I knew it had rained hard, but I didn't realize it was THAT hard. Today's gorgeous--low humidity, low temps, and a breeze--a perfect fall day in August.

packrat said...

Scott:

Wow! That's way more rain than anybody needs. Sorry to hear about the basement problem. I clearly remember the problems my parents had with their house in Liberty, Ohio. In addition to the basement, they also had a crawl space where the furnace was located, and that darned space was always filling with water. Had to have a special pump to get it out.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...