Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, August 10, 2013

When to Shorten a Hike


Content in the wind
If the wind is gusting to 40 or 50 mph, and it's kicking up dust and sand that's blowing directly into your face and your dog's face, you should probably cut the hike short.  Unfortunately, Becca and I didn't follow this advice as we did a long trek on the west side of Tortugas Mountain.  In our defense, there were plenty of other lunatics out there as well.
Picacho

Overcast sky to the northwest    



5 comments:

Scott said...

I've told my story before of Kali's and my visit to an extremely windy Acoma Pueblo when Kali had forgotten to bring her glasses and was pelted with wind-blown sand wearing contact lenses. Great visit, but a miserable experience for her. She wrapped her face with clothing so that she looked like she was wearing a Bedoin burk-ah.

packrat said...

Dr. K, our first dog, Sara, and I had to set up a tent in a sandstorm outside of Silver City, New Mexico during a camping trip, and once we got the darned thing up Sara went to sleep. Dr. K and I sat worrying about whether the tent would withstand the gale, all the while picking sand out of our ears and spitting sand out of our mouths. The dog slept through the whole storm.

JACQUELINE said...

Love those large rocks. Quite a wind there! I used to take a sheep, as well as my dog on bushwalks. Both animals loved it. At the top of the mountain, the sheep seemed to enjoy the views.

Dr. K said...

Strong wind and lots of sand make for a bad combination (but some good stories).

packrat said...

Jacqui, your comment really made me laugh. I can just imagine a sheep enjoying the view from a mountaintop.

:)

Views from the Grand View

Sacramentos We did the Grand View Trail this morning, surprised that nobody else was there on a Sunday morning.  We hiked the entire first l...