Search This Blog

Followers

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Balloon Daze

Scrambling for the sun
We were surprised to see a balloon over the Mesilla Valley this morning because there was a pretty stiff wind. It was cold when we started off, and I wanted to get into the sun as soon as possible.  We watched the balloon float toward the mountains, pause, then transit back toward the valley, where it eventually touched down.  I'm not sure why I'm so fascinated by hot-air balloons--perhaps it goes back to my childhood--but all I can remember doing with regular balloons as a child was popping them or filling them with water.
Hot-air balloon over Picacho

Hovering over the Mesilla Valley

Snagged in an Ocotillo

Dipping ever lower

Keeping an eye on it

Going, going . . .

Ready to fly the nest

Tortugas and the Organs

6 comments:

Dr. K said...

It's funny that Becca seems so intent on the balloon.

Caroline said...

She must be as fascinated by them as we are. I've always loved hot air balloons as well!

Scott said...

Snagged in an ocotillo...shades of Charley Brown's kite!

What am I missing in "Ready to fly the nest"?

packrat said...

You know Becca, Dr. K, she's always intense about something.

packrat said...

Caroline: I don't know if Becca is fascinated or especially leery.

packrat said...

Scott: Those are seeds on a dandelion-type delivery system; some have lifted off into the wind already.

Early Early Hike

Old Soaptree Yucca seed pod Because I had a 10 a.m. doctor's appointment today Dr. K, Willow and I got a very early start on our trek:  ...