Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Cool and Crisp

Scattering of Aspen leaves
It was 42 degrees Fahrenheit when we set off this morning.  The cool October temperature was quite invigorating.  When I lived back in Ohio October was my favorite month.  I pretty much like it up in southern New Mexico's Sacramento Mountains, too.  We hiked for about five miles and were only in full sunlight for a small portion of the trek.  This afternoon a neighbor, another guy and I removed the dead tree from our yard as well as several other dead trees.  I felt quite relieved when the tree leaning against our fence was gone.
Light reds, greens and yellows

No doubt a squirrel upslope

Not a pointer

This mullein was over four feet tall

?

I'm going with Tahoka Daisy (aka Prairie Aster)

Way ahead on the Rim Trail

Quaking Aspens

Stand of young Aspens

Fall color in the Sacramento Mountains

Skyrocket

Looking out toward the Tularosa Basin

Dr. K and Becca

Packrat and Becca

Eastern Daisies

3 comments:

Dr. K said...

It's a nice time of year when flowers are still blooming and the leaves are turning.

Scott said...

The skyrocket is spectacular, and aptly named. I also liked the image of the multicolored aspen leaves on the dark background.

I'm sure you're relieved to get the tree off your fence without paying an arborist.

And, October is definitely my favorite month, too, but this year has been a disappointment, at least so far. (Kali says I'm too impatient.) Kali's got a two-day fall break on Monday and Tuesday, and I'm trying to get her to drive up to the Pocono Mountains with me to hike at Bushkill Falls, "the Niagara of Pennsylvania." It's a 2+ hour drive, but we've never been there, though we've lived in this area for 25 years. Let's see how persuasive I can be.

packrat said...

I hope you make it to Bushkill Falls so we can all benefit from seeing it on your blog.

:)

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...