Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, October 7, 2013

Grasses

Because of the record amounts of rain we got during September there are grasses growing in the northern Chihuahuan Desert that I've never seen before; not that I'm an expert on grasses or anything.  This morning Becca and I hiked in the area where somebody in the distant past had dumped used pallets and railroad ties.  We were surprised to find those had been removed.  Apparently some other somebody felt the need to replace those missing items with large cardboard boxes, broken glass  and burned god-knows-what.  Gotta love people.






4 comments:

Dr. K said...

Whatever those grasses are, they sure are pretty, even if they are making me suffer from allergies.

Scott said...

Around here, it's called short-dumping. But these slobs had to make a real effort to get out into the desert (rather than just dump their crap alongside the road as is usually the case here). I suspect they do it because they've got to pay to have trash hauled away (at least they do around here).

I'll never be disappointed if I think the least of people and assume they're cheap and greedy.

packrat said...

I'm suffering, too, Dr. K.

packrat said...

Yes, Scott, they'd have to pay to dump at the landfill, but it's a minimal charge. Dr. K and I have done it a time or two in the past. I'm afraid I share your assessment of some people. The problem, too, is that several drivable roads lead to isolated areas where litterers can dump their trash out of pickup trucks with little effort; and the threat of penalties is small. I did check the labels on the boxes to see if I could find a name and address, but no luck.

Hump Day Hawk

Tortugas and the Organs We got a fairly early start this morning so it wasn't hot at all:  62F.  The cloud cover helped the temperature ...