Search This Blog

Followers

Monday, October 14, 2013

Low-Desert Walkabout

Chinchweed flowers beginning to fade
It felt oddly warm in the northern Chihuahuan Desert this morning owing to an influx of moisture into the area.  The light windbreaker I wore at the start of our hike didn't stay on for long.  We had one close encounter with a jogger near the road to the top of the mountain, and Becca lay patiently at the side of the trail until he had passed.  The only other person we saw (Becca spotted him first) was a mountain biker looping around the back of the mountain.
In an arroyo on the west side of Tortugas Mountain

With superior eyesight Becca spots something in the far distance


The red dot indicates the spot where Becca sees something

With the optical zoom on my camera I see it's a mountain biker

Beautiful sky over the mountains

Wooly Paperflower

The road back to the city

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Must have been a very overcast morning ... the lighting reminds me a lower setting on an adjustable lamp, but I like it.

Have a quick ? regarding blog stats. I use the same format, and I don't understand why mine will tell me that I have had 80 views, but only 8 pages have been "viewed." Does the number 80 just refer to those that clicked on the link, but didn't actually view a page? Thanks, Ruby ... and btw - I envy how well trained Becca is. Tippy has no obedience when it comes to such things out at the creek.

packrat said...

Thanks, Ruby. Yes, you're right about views vs. page views. Here's a link that explains analytics in more detail.

http://weblogs.about.com/od/addonsandplugins/p/BlogTrafficStat.htm

Anonymous said...

Thanks, that was very helpful.:) I am having a problem getting out and exercising, so I am going to try and get motivated enough to do a daily walk/photo/upload like you do - just hope I have the discipline for it.

Dr. K said...

This hike was a nice way to begin your week.

Grand Old Grand View Trail

Early morning moon Willow got an early morning surprise today; when we came back down the drive after her constitutional we stopped at the p...