Search This Blog

Followers

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Midweek Meandering

On the Crosscut Trail
The B-girl and I got a little earlier start than usual so we extended our hike by about a mile.  It was far warmer this morning (38 F) than yesterday, so it felt relatively nice out there.  We're headed for a high of 58 degrees, with even higher temps expected by week's end.  We saw only one other hiker in the outback, but we ran into JC and Shaque down by the old shack on the road leading to the mountaintop.  A few other trekkers were just starting off from the parking area near the ramada as we wrapped up our hike.
An arroyo well traveled by critters

Becca hunting for critters

Becca galloping out of the arroyo

Loggerhead Shrike

A noble-looking bird

5 comments:

Scott said...

Truly noble, Packrat, especially in the second image.

Scott said...

Apropos absolutely nothing in this post...

In March 2013, you were trying out images for the cover of your book of short stories, Virga. You shared with me a link to access your stories, but I was too busy at the time to do so, now now I have lost the link. Are you willing to share it with me again? I'd appreciate it.

Dr. K said...

Are the shrikes migratory birds? Are they here just for the winter months?

packrat said...

Dr. K: Loggerhead Shrikes are a year-round resident here in the Land of Enchantment.

packrat said...

No problem, Scott. Here's the link:

http://authonomy.com/books/50637/virga/read-book/#chapter

Metatarsalgia Hike

Willow taking a break Dr. K, Willow and I took our regular hike this morning despite my aching feet.  I seem to have all the symptoms of met...